Breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day, especially for type 2 diabetics. It’s also one of the most neglected when it comes to eating healthy. Don’t have the time to prepare breakfast? Diabetic breakfast ideas don’t have to be elaborate.
You don’t have to worry about cooking an elaborate meal to make sure you get all of the nutrition you need to make it through the day. All the ingredients you need are probably already in your kitchen, so do a little exploring and create a powerhouse breakfast that will give you the energy you need without throwing off your insulin levels.
The following low-carb, diabetic breakfast ideas will help you stay healthy and step out of the door on time:
High-Protein Pancakes and Fruit
High-protein pancakes make a healthy breakfast for type 2 diabetics, and it also keeps you full till lunch.
- Add a scoop of vanilla protein powder to your favorite pancake mix. You will get a boost of protein with a tasty vanilla twist.
- Top them off with a small handful of fresh raspberries or blueberries.
- You can use a scoop of strawberry flavored protein flower and top the pancakes with a small amount of freshly cut strawberries or kiwis.
Related Blog: How Does Diabetes Affect Your Mood and Relationships?
Whipped Cottage Cheese with Fruit and Nuts
Cottage cheese is one of those foods that can be enjoyed in many ways.
- Take a cup of cottage cheese and place it in a small food processor container.
- Use the pulse setting until the cottage cheese is smooth.
- You can top it with sunflower seeds, peanuts, tomatoes, cucumber chunks, and a small handful of strawberries, blueberries, and peaches.
It’s versatile and can accommodate your sweet tooth or satisfy your salty cravings!
Keto Egg Muffins
Keto egg muffins are one of several diabetic breakfast ideas that will keep you on track if you are following a ketogenic meal plan.
- Mixing egg yolks and fresh vegetables are essential to these keto egg muffins, that are full of the nutrition you need and give a healthy boost to start your day.
- You can include tomatoes, onions, green/red peppers, and broccoli.
- Add a little cheese, and you have enough protein to start your day off right!
Are you following a ketogenic diet plan? Our keto diet checklist for type 2 diabetics can help you in reversing your diabetic numbers.
Yogurt and Fruit Shakes
Yogurt is high in protein and also adds enzymes that you will need throughout the day. Flavored or plain yogurt is a great way to start your morning.
- Place a cup of yogurt in your food processor or blender.
- Add a small handful of your favorite fruit and pulse a few times.
- Mix and shake thoroughly, so the fruit goes all the way through and then drink up as you head out the door.
Cauliflower Oatmeal and Fruit
If you’re trying to avoid grains, but oatmeal is one of your favorites, swap the grain for vegetable and add some of your favorite flavors.
- Instead of preparing oatmeal, take a cup of cooked, diced cauliflower and put it in your food processor, pulse until smooth and scoop into a bowl.
- You can add a small amount of vanilla protein for extra flavor in addition to the cinnamon or a small handful of fresh fruit you like.
To get more diabetic breakfast ideas and to ensure you are eating the right types of food for type 2 diabetes, work with a certified dietician to create a perfect diabetic meal plan.
Latest posts by Gina Nguyen, MD (see all)
- 4 Frequently Occurring Summer Ailments & Tips to Prevent Them - June 21, 2019
- West Nile Virus: Symptoms, Treatment & Prevention - May 8, 2019
- 5 Quick Breakfast Ideas for People with Type 2 Diabetics - April 21, 2019